Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Peak week

Hello from the loopiness that is peak week!

I hit 70km last week. For me, that's a lot. Possibly the most I've ever hit in a marathon training cycle. If you are paying attention to the Hansons plans, it is not remotely near the actual peak mileage one is supposed to get. But in terms of absolute time on my feet, that's certainly equivalent to other people's manymoremiles.

Every marathon cycle gets more interesting. Longer peak weeks? More ways to hurt? Adding a strength class? Bring it on. At this point I think I've been fairly good about those resolutions to stretch and do strength training. That was another little goal that I set down at the start of this cycle.

Oddly enough, I'm not totally wiped out and hungry and sleepy all the time. My body seems to have adapted just enough that I'm hungry and tired and sleepy, but not horrifically so. I would say I'm almost feeling good, but I'd rather not jinx it.

In honour of this I've been reading a couple of things:
- Nonrunners often ask me: Why are you running so much? So - How many miles is enough? The answer really depends on the distance of race you pick, the rate at which you ramp up, and the amount your body can handle. Me, I'd like to train just hard enough to hit whatever goals I've set over the distance I've picked and still finish smiling. For too many reasons to list I will never be competing at the Olympics, so I don't believe in suffering all that much.
On un-becoming a runner is a musing on running, identity, and the extent to which being a runner is or isn't an identity. (The wag in me would like to pipe up: the sight of me running is pretty unbecoming anyway.)

Gold Coast training log week 15
Monday: 7.5km easy, followed by yoga class. I often run this easy run a little harder than I should be doing, because I am perpetually running late for yoga class.
Tuesday: AM: a very confused mixed-up speed session at the track with a substitute coach who accidentally got the location wrong. 5x800 with plyometrics, 4x100 sprints, 400m cooldown. PM: Bodypump class preceded by a meandering 3km because I (miracle...) got to the gym early.
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 12km tempo
Friday: 11km easy
Saturday: 25km long run. I'm solidifying my fuelling plan: endurolyte capsule before I start; one shot blok every 5km; an endurolyte cap and a minute walk break every hour.
Sunday: 5.9km less easy than I ought to (had to rush off to work after that)
Total: 70km 

11 comments:

  1. Nice job!! I have had many training cycles that peaked around that range -- definitely significant miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - hope all this training pays off!

      Delete
  2. I've never even hit 70! And I've run, like, 13 marathons or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I just did 70 kilometres... that's like 43 miles :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! Congrats on making it this far. How do you feel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A little sore, but nothing my trusty foam roller can't fix...

      Delete
  4. 70k is big for anyone. I'm impressed at how well your feeling. I only hope to be feeling close to that good when I hit my peak week for Melbourne marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let's hope this feeling good thing holds...

      Delete
  5. The way you've described how you feel - sounds like you've got it spot on. When's the race?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Enjoy the taper!

    ReplyDelete