Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012 in review


Here I am sneaking a post in between work, family and training. My in-laws are visiting Singapore from the US for the first time and the list of things we've fed them resembles a hobbit's pantry list, if hobbits were Southeast Asian.

This was one of them: PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE (which is not Southeast Asian, but it is still delicious)

Pie crust 
Digestive biscuits - 10 to 15
Melted butter

Filling
12oz pumpkin puree
2 blocks (about 500g) cream cheese
2 eggs
1/6 cup yoghurt or sour cream
slightly less than 1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp flour
1. Preheat oven to 350F/ 176C
2. Crush digestive biscuits till crumbs form; mix with melted butter, press down into 9-inch pie tin.  Set aside.
3. Beat cream cheese till smooth. Add pumpkin, eggs, yoghurt/ sour cream, sugar, and spices. Add flour and vanilla. Beat till well combined.
4. Pour into crust and bake for 1 hour, let cool 15 minutes, then refrigerate at least 1.5 hours.
--

Here's a little end-of-year sum-up, questionnaire devised by MissZippy1.

Best race experience? That has to be the Great Eastern women's 21K, which had cheering spectators (I saw the same set of folks three times), food and ice cream (!) at the finish, wet towels, the worst race photo of myself I've ever seen,
Obviously I'm just woolgathering here.

AND I crawled in with a 2:11 PR.

Best run? 15km mixed trail and road one weekend during marathon training: down Clementi, up Rifle Range Road, said hi to the Metasport bike group doing hill reps, ran through a desolate trail and nearly trampled on two birdwatchers on the way to MacRitchie Reservoir, around the reservoir, and two egg McMuffins at the end. (I don't run for my weight or physical health. I run for my mental health...)

Best new piece of gear? I have trouble buying gear for myself in the consistent belief that I don't deserve  it...finally bought myself a pair of 2XU compression calf sleeves and wore them on the way to my speediest 10K ever. 2013's might be the fuelbelt I got as a birthday/ anniversary present.

Best piece of running advice you received? Get a coach. If you don't think you're fast enough to deserve a coach, how will you get fast enough?
In 2013, here's something else I want help with. When I try to run fast, I need other people around to race. My time-trial times are never as fast as when I'm actually chasing someone down that I think I have a chance of overtaking. It's a different head game...

Most inspirational runner? Desiree who is super hardworking, always chipper, and is the first one to stand there at the finish and cheer her friends on.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? The only way to go is up.
---

And some specific time goals/ new year's resolutions for 2013. Making these public is very very scary.
- Run a sub-25 5K.
- Run a sub-55 10K.
- Break the elusive 2h mark for the half marathon.
- And go under 5 for a marathon!

Some non-time goals.

- Stretch, PROPERLY, twice a week. For too many years I've been coasting by on my ballet flexibility, and have very bad runner habits - like not stretching after a long run. When I do stretch, I need to stretch differently and deeper and in wacky positions just to get the stretch I need (please do not be alarmed if we're stretching on the track and I fold into a position you didn't think humanly possible).
- More strength training - will need this if I'm ever to get faster...
- Get a friend into running and get her addicted.
- And have fun on every run!


As we go into tri training season I leave you with one tri training thought. I like swimming well enough when I get to the pool, it's getting out the door to go to the pool I have trouble with. (Help!!) (I have no such problem with running: shorts shirt shoes out the door.)

1 comment:

  1. The best trick to play on Americans? To innocently tell them that they'll be getting Carrot Cake.

    *sigh* When my now-husband told me his Dad was buying back carrot cake for breakfast, this seemed indulgent, but lovely (I was missing my sweet-ish American breakfasts anyway). Then, someone opened up that styrofoam container from the hawker center... *crashing disappointment*

    ReplyDelete